Moresco Castle is first documented in 1083. In Roman times, the area was home to rural settlements, while in the Lombard period, monastic and feudal curtes and castra emerged, including the one that became the central unit of the future castle. The origin of the name is uncertain: it may derive from a local lord named Morico or the Moors family, or from the term morro (stony place). Other theories link the name to the presence of, or defense by, the Moors along the Adriatic coast.
In the 12th century, the Signoria of Count Tebaldo is documented. In the 13th century, the castle came under the control of the city of Fermo, first by decision of Frederick II and later by King Manfred. In 1266, the local lords sold the fortress to Lorenzo Tiepolo, doge of Venice and podestà of Fermo, definitively establishing Fermo’s rule, which lasted until the Unification of Italy. After the end of feudal ties, Moresco became an independent municipality, but in 1868 it was merged with Monterubbiano. It regained its status as an independent municipality on June 26, 1910 by royal decree.
